During storms, gutters keep heavy water from causing damage to your home. However, along with water, gutters attract and collect debris like leaves, sticks, and dirt. In order to keep the gutters at your commercial or residential property working properly, you should perform regular cleaning and maintenance:
- Debris: Regularly remove debris from your gutters by scooping it out and putting it in buckets for disposal. It’s important to remove debris this way in order to prevent clogs in your gutters and downspouts.
- Build Up: Dirt and roofing materials can slowly build up in your gutters. This thick, sticky material can prevent your gutters from working properly and cause blockages. Scrub any buildup off your gutters regularly to prevent damage.
- Downspouts: After you’ve cleared the debris from your gutter, use a hose to rinse the entire system out. Flush water through downspouts at full force to ensure you get everything cleared out.
- Angle: The angle of your gutters will determine if they can effectively protect your home and roofing. After you rise out your gutters, check for any standing water, and adjust the angle of your gutters to cause water to run down smoothly.
- Attachment: Depending on the age of your house and quality of installation, gutters may be attached to your roofing with a variety of different devices. If your gutters are becoming loose or detached from your roofing, use quality products to ensure they stay securely on your home.
- Leaks: Repairing leaks is the key to keeping your roofing free of leaks. Talk to your local reconstruction company for advice on what materials to use to repair leaks and when it’s time to opt for replacement.
If you’re an owner of a residential or commercial property, make sure to keep up carefully with your gutter’s maintenance to prevent major damage. For top-quality installation, repairs, and replacement, choose the experienced construction experts at Fentress Builders, Inc. For a free estimate on your roofing and gutter services in Indianapolis, call (317) 899-9381.