Residential fires are a serious issue, and can be caused in several ways. There are a few common causes of home fires, and recognizing them can help you learn how to prevent them and keep you and your family safe. Cooking is the leading cause of home fires today, but there are several other potential household hazards that can lead to damaging and potentially deadly fires:
Cooking Fires: The current leading cause of house fires is cooking, according to the National Fire Protection Association. About 37 percent of home fires begin in the kitchen, while kitchen fire-related injuries clock in at 36 percent. These fires can result from unattended or overheated oil and other cooking mishaps.
Electrical Fires: Arc hazards and short-circuits are responsible for more than 1,000 injuries annually, and most electrical fires are preventable. While some do originate from faulty equipment, most involve incorrectly installed wiring or improper use of electrical equipment such as overloading outlets or using extension cords as a permanent fixture. Electrical fires cause $1 billion in damage every year.
- Smoking Materials: Smoking is one of the leading causes of fire-related deaths in the home. Smoking materials include cigarettes, tobacco, and similar items. Smoking fires can be caused by a smoker having fallen asleep with a lit cigarette, unattended smoking materials, or improperly disposed smoking materials that are still ignited.
Many home fires are entirely preventable, and by increasing your fire awareness and safety you can keep yourself, your property, and your loved ones safe. In the event that you do experience a home fire, it can be difficult to cope with the aftermath. Fire damage can leave a lasting mark on a home, but with a qualified restoration and construction service, this type of damage can be addressed in a way that leaves your home looking as if the incident never occurred.
Fentress Builders, Inc. provides residential fire damage restoration. To schedule a consultation with us, call us at (317) 899-9381, or contact us via our website today.